Are you a Transformed Christian? Part 2
Score 99%Score 99%
What makes a man an unbeliever?
I want you to notice something that is quite interesting in the Ephesians 4 passage quoted above. What are the things that make an unbeliever an unbeliever? What makes a man a sinner and what makes a man a Christian? What is the difference? Ephesians 4 gives us the explanation. It tells us an unbeliever is an unbeliever primarily because of five things;
- They have vain minds (v17): They walk and behave the way they do because of the nature of their minds.
- They have their minds darkened (v18): You see somebody going about naked or half naked on Sunday morning while people are going to church and he holds one bottle of whisky in one hand and holds a bottle of “odeku” in the other, singing “ose o Jesus a o ma yin o” and dancing and people are saying to him “what is wrong with you? Let us go to church and he says “where I am now is church”. Why do you think he is doing this? It is because his understanding is darkened. His mind is distorted and beclouded. We can see this correctly in the light of the word of God.
- They are alienated from the life of God (v18): An unbeliever is an unbeliever because he is alienated from the life of God; he is cut off from the ZOE, from eternal life. Why? Because of the ignorance that is in them. There is a life that makes a man to live right and when you don’t have it, you cannot live correctly. The bible says, “Can the Ethiopian change his skin, or the leopard his spots? then may ye also do good, that are accustomed to do evil.”(Jeremiah 13:23). If you take a goat and you try to maybe paint it up, make it up, change it on the outside and you say “Goat, you got to behave well, don’t behave as a goat” and you leave it. After a short while what do you think the goat will do? It will cry “meeehhhhh” and will still continue behaving as a goat! Why? Because it is a goat by nature, the life in it is the life of an animal. Being a Christian is not just because I have just accepted some codes. No! There is a life.
A few days ago, I was driving and then I gave somebody a ride, one of my colleagues in the office and he saw some food stuffs and some other stuff in the vehicle, and she asked “What is this?” And I said “Oh that is food for my dogs. We have two dogs: one Alsatian and one German shepherd, I got this stuff for them”. Then she started lamenting saying “How can you do this? What some of us cannot afford to eat, that is what you have packaged for dogs” But, you know, it doesn’t really matter. Even if I gave the dog a whole chicken as breakfast and another whole chicken as lunch, that dog is still a dog. You cannot compare it to the poorest man on the street. The life in it is the life of a dog.
- An unbeliever is an unbeliever because there is the blindness of heart (v18): The heart has been blinded and hardened, hardened by sin. Jesus was talking in Matthew 19, he said Moses permitted divorce because of the hardness of your hearts. You know what it means when someone is said to be a hardened criminal. Somebody whose heart has been hardened. Jesus said people behave the way they do because their hearts have been hardened.
- The outworking of their lives (v19): An unbeliever is an unbeliever because he has “passed feelings” and has given himself “over to lasciviousness to work out all uncleanness with greediness.”
The Post at A Glance!
Summary What are the things that make an unbeliever an unbeliever? What makes a man a sinner and what makes a man a Christian? What is the difference? Ephesians 4 gives us the explanation. It tells us an unbeliever is an unbeliever primarily because of five things
Transormation and Spiritual Development